Thursday, October 8, 2009

Echo Weave Using the Itten Star ~ Echoes of Sunrise

Mum has been doing lots of Echo and Turned Taqueté so I thought that I would try my hand at Echo also. I love the complicated patterns and the play of the colours.
Echo weave generally has two colours in the warp, they sit side by side on the colour wheel, in my case I used butter yellow and coral. The weft colour is found by looking directly opposite the two warp colours on the colour wheel, also known as the split complementary, which in this case is blueberry blue. The idea is to keep all the colours in the same tonal value.
Mum developed this 8 shaft pattern and it is going to be one of the samples for her workshop. It has a broken diamond pattern. The scarf has lovely drape and iridescence and the dominant colour changes on each side. It truly does look like a sunrise over the lake. I haven’t had time to bead the scarf but I have decided which beads to use, it is always a lot of fun to look through the bead drawer and try to find what beads work. I am not sure how I am going to bead the scarf but I have a great palate to work with here! I have not been weaving as much lately as I am cat/house sitting for some friends of the family. This is the view today from the patio on which I have been sitting having breakfast over looking Okaganan Lake. I sip my coffee looking for Ogopogo, and trying not to make eye contact with the huge herd of deer that wander by constantly eating the lawn!

7 comments:

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

I just love echo weave! Wonderful choice in colors too;)

Susan said...

Oh, Ngaire... your scarf is beautiful! No one would ever believe you are a newbie ...

I was playing around with drafts on the computer tonight and have some good possibles to try out on the looms.
Much more fun than drafting pen and paper huh?

Life Looms Large said...

Great job on your scarf. The beads will just be the icing on the cake!

Sue

Peg in South Carolina said...

With a view like that, I'm not sure I'd ever weave! I'd just want to sit there with coffee and knitting or spinning.......

Sharon said...

I've read this blog for over a year and had no idea you were mother and daughter. That's wonderful!

charlotte said...

The scarf looks great, congrats! I wonder what kind of animals are nibbling away at your lawn, mooses?

Dorothy said...

Isn't it wonderful the things you can do on 8 shafts, I love your weaving!