Thursday, December 17, 2009

Shadow Weave on Four Shafts ~ Without a Shadow

I’ve decided to finally buckle down and apply myself and attack one of the test questions looming over me!

I am still chugging along on the Senior level of the GCW Master Weavers program, well chugging could be an exaggeration, moseying may be a better word. The Senior level has test questions #21 – 30, and this one is for question #29 entitled Colour and Weave. The question is in four sections. Part A is a briefly written piece about Colour and Weave. Part B is a briefly written piece about Shadow Weave. Part C is weave a sample of either Shadow Weave or Colour and Weave on 4 or more shafts. Part D is a record and draft of the woven piece. Sounds easy right! This is a single pattern repeat of my chosen pattern.
I decided to make it easy on myself and do a 4 shaft Shadow Weave. I chose to do the piece in navy and turquoise 2/8 unmercerized cotton. My colour choice had two criteria, the first being that I wanted a strong contrast and the second is that it had to be out of my stash. I've only put on two yards and plan to get it right the first time (or two).The rules state that I must weave it a minimum of 12" x 18" finished and may not use floating selvedges (drat!).This piece need not be an original pattern so this draft came from Marion Powell’s book titled 1000(+) Patterns in 4, 6, and 8 Harness Shadow Weave. This book is without a doubt one of the best resources for Shadow Weave that I have found, I really recommend it. Here are a few facts about Shadow Weave. Shadow weave is usually set on a twill sequence threading, it is not a true twill, but rather a plain weave with two thread skips, which because of the use of two colors, one dark, one light, alternating in both warp and weft, make shadows between the changes of the hatching. Shadow weave threads run at a 45 degree angle with distinct dark row alternating with a distinct light row with the edge threads interwoven with each other in a definite feather stitch pattern. If you use an ascending progression a dark thread precedes a light thread; descending is the reverse. Shadow weave is a firm durable weave which is completely reversible. This is my guilty purchase for the year, OK maybe not my only guilty purchase, but the latest one anyway! It arrived just like this, nothing but the clear plastic wrap and my name on the side, and it was just abandoned in my carport - they must have been sure it was ment for me...I have been eyeing a steam press for a couple of years and was hoping to buy one second hand, but one never appeared on any of the sites I searched. I found this one on the internet but always talked myself out of this rather large purchase, until Ngaire found it discounted $60.00 at Costco! It was meant to be I guess! I’ve always felt that my pressing is my weak spot, I just can’t seem to press hard enough, so hopefully this will fix that problem. By the way the table cloth the steam press is siting on was made by my mother in the 1950's and it a real treasure! This press has settings for different types of fibres, from synthetic to linen, so it should fit all my needs.And it has lots of steam jets! Apparently it only needs 4 seconds in contact with the fabric to press it perfectly. I’m looking forward to giving it a try and seeing if it really performs as I hope it does. Now where, oh where do I put it!

13 comments:

Susan said...

Oh man, I want one of those! I am really interested to hear how it works for you..
The delivery guys were a little casual... your carport is open to the road way. (Hhm, if I had know that sooner.... :)

I'm nifty with an iron but it lacks something....

I love the shadow weave! Your colour choices are in fashion too. Seems turqoise is 2010's 'hot' colour.

:) Susan

Theresa said...

Oh very nice! I had never even given a steam press a thought, didn't know they had such a thing for home use. Can you tell, my iron gets dusty too. Of course my iron is on it's last legs so to speak. I'll be reading too to see how it does!

Delighted Hands said...

Love your sample-it is going great from my point of view! I have a steam press-nver thought of using it with my weaving; duh! Love the tablecloth, my mom made me one for my wedding 30+ years ago!

Cindie said...

I just looked at Costco online but no luck.....and I was just in our Costco yesterday but didn't go down the aisles that may have had it......if we even have it. Will keep my eyes open. What a great deal.

Love the shadow weave!

Lynnette said...

Sorry Cindy, maybe I was not very clear with the price, it was $300.00 but had a $60.00 discount for 10 days in December. With our lovely taxes, it came to $285.00 CDN, but if it works it'll be worth the price....I found it on line at Costco.ca.
Cheers
Lynnette

Jenny said...

It's funny you should mention that book. I am a new weaver and I just received that book this week from a book order. I took one look at it and was completely overwhelmed/disappointed. I wanted to return it but it would of cost me half of the amount of the book to post it so I decided I might as well keep it. I've since calmed down and realized although it may look like it's written in Chinese right now, I have a lot to learn and I've only just begun. I hope one day it will be one of my favourites too.

Life Looms Large said...

I'm really glad you wrote about shadow weave!!! When I did a small shadow weave piece out of paper this summer, some one asked me what shadow weave was and I really couldn't say.

And I've got two shadow weave pieces in progress - one that's Christmas-y and on my loom - and one that's ready for the warping board. So I'm so happy that I'll be able to point to your post about it when the time comes to blog!!

I also just got that book after some hunting.

The shadow weave piece on your loom looks great! I look forward to seeing how it comes out. Keep on chugging!!

Sue

charlotte said...

The table cloth your mother made is just fantastic, I almost can't believe that it is handmade! Thanks for all the info about the shadow weave, until now I've not been quite sure about what it is.

Sharon said...

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is 2/8 cotton the same thing as 8/2 cotton?

bspinner said...

I admire anyone who works on the GCW Master Weaver's Program. I sure do like the color and pattern of your table cloth!!!

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing your insights on the shadow weave! :) I'm looking forward to starting my COE shortly:) ........I was eyeing that tablecloth as well......so funny that you mentioned who made it....I'm sure everyone who read this was wondering about it;)

Marion B. said...

I love the colours of your weaving, and the patterns too. That book is at my list, among a ,lot of other books, and now you write about it........ maybe I will buy it next year.

Best wishes.

Opiedog4 said...

Love my steam press! I still need my hand iron for finishing details in tight corners, collars, etc, but for yardage off the loom the steam press is my go to. I can also get that shine on linen that I'd otherwise spend time a lot of time trying to achieve with a roller.