Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Getting Settled

Finally, we have some semblence of order appearing out of the choas!  It's taken two full weeks to unpack and sort though the boxes and try to find a home for everything, and I must admit that I've hidden as much in closets as I can, because 'out of sight out of mind' works for me.  I feel terribly guilty taking over the living room, but what a great space to have for a studio!
The two looms sit side by side and are looking very forlorne without warps on them, but now that we've unpacked the yarn, books and computers we'll get cracking!
My weaving stash used to take up a full wall in my studio and now here it is crammed higgeldy piggeldy into one armoire in the guest room.  Every time I see it I have the urge to purge!  I think that with the internet and the availability of yarn on line my stash hoarding will be a thing of the past.  I may as well store less at home and only order what I need to complete a project and let the shops look after the storage. I will take a photo in a few months and see if I've lived up the the stash reduction binge.
Moving to Comox has meant that we chaged climatic regions in a big way, from zone 5 to zone 7/8.  I try and get out for a walk daily and can't believe the beautiful plants we've encounted.  Our home came with grass and predug beds, so we are on the hunt for what to put into the garden.  This is a Mahonia (Winter Sun) and is blooming right now.  These yellow/lime green cones are stunning and will definately be one of the plants for me.
I don't know the name of this beautiful berry, but it's a stunner and I have just the spot for it!

Last night we had an amazing storm with hard rain and very gusty winds.  We saw the cushions for our lawn furniture moving around and went outside to find our large gas bbq had been moved from the patio about 10 meters onto the grass and tipped over.  We rarely had strong winds in The Okanagan Valley so it was thrilling to say the least!

We are still having the builders subs in on a daily basis tweaking all the little foibles that a new house brings so getting out and learning my new neighbourhood is a real treat to get away from the noise.  Today it is +12C and a light drizzle, so I'm off for a walk number two.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful...Miss Comox. Had family up there..maybe I can come up and visit some day again. It is beautiful country.

Peg Cherre said...

So glad you're in your new home. It all looks great to me.

Can't wait to see what you'll weave in your new location.

I can't be sure, but your unidentified bush MAY be a Daphne. I'd love to have one here, but I'm a zone 4 in some winters, so they're out of the question.

Linda said...

Your new weaving space looks fabulous, Lynnette! May you and Ngaire have many many lovely weaving hours in the years to come.

Trapunto said...

The plant is Japanese Skimmia, I have some in my garden, it's fantastic. You have to look hard if you want anything other than the currently popular miniature cultivars, though. And be sure you get a male plant to pollinate the females, or they won't get berries!

Lovely studio! I wish you well in your new home.

Susan said...

What a great space to set the looms up in! (I really like the wall colour!)

Yes, we do tend to get some wind storms here on the island! The prevailing weather systems come in off the Pacific straight from Japan and there's nothing to slow them down. In fact, they can pick up a good clip of speed!

Once Hub is feeling better we are looking forward to a drive up island to visit and see this lovely new home!

Hugs, Susan

Amanda Cutler said...

Missed your blog! Good to see you're getting settled in over there!

R. Delight said...

I love how uncluttered your studio looks! I just unpacked my two boxes of yarns after 3 or 4 years of moving around and had the same thoughts you have about the stash. Looking forward to seeing both stashes shrink! I am further south on the Oregon coast but used to live in Washington, just across the way as the raven flies. I love the Pacific Northwest and the wild weather we get. Hope you enjoy it too. Congrats on your new home.

Benita said...

What great natural lighting you have for your looms!! And don't feel bad, all my looms are set up in the living room, too. :)

Dita said...

Welcome to the Comox Valley!