Monday, September 30, 2013

Undulating Twill Shawl

September was one of those months that just seemed to fly by! We've taken plenty of day trips around Vancouver Island as well as a longer trip ‘off the rock’ to the Interior of BC to visit family, so weaving has taken a bit of a back burner.

Although I've not been blogging, I have been weaving in fits and starts.  Mid month I put on a warp in lovely rich rust and brown. I used two different colours of brown and a deep russet colour which I pulled together and randomly threaded through the heddles.

The warp is 24 inches wide and 100 inches long and I plan to make a hemmed shawl.  I chose to use an undulating twill pattern to enhance the fabrics drape and the random colour breaks really add interest to the pattern. 
To temper the earthiness of the browns I added 3 stripes on each side using a colour that Webs calls Adobe. I liked it so much that I used it as the weft too, it really pulls the brown up from drab to dazzling!
The fabric wove up very quickly and I have it off the loom, washed, hemmed and pressed.  I want to add buttons to this shawl but couldn't find any in my local Fabricland, so I ordered some for the shawl from a supplier on Etsy and had to await their arrival.
The buttons came in 10 days beautifully packaged!  These buttons cannot be found in local shops and that’s for sure!  I added a few exta buttons to my order for a raw silk blouse that I plan on sewing soon.
These copper metal buttons are the ones that will go on the shawl to allow it to be worn as a capelet.  Ngaire has already made one of these shawls and you can see it here.
 I've just started weaving one of the silk scarves that I painted in August….this one is purple and turquoise and I've chosen Azure for the weft.  This will be a polka dot scarf ~ a pattern that I go back to time and again….I love it!

No comments: